Thursday, April 26, 2012

For the birds

When we moved into our new home we became roomates with a bird. Moving a bird to a new home that's many hours away could be a very stressful process for the bird. So my parents thought it best to leave him here. There's something about birds in general that steers me away from saying we are "bird owners". Birds are synonymous with freedom. Sure, our little guy lives indoors and we feed him and put him to bed every day...but for the sake of bird rights...let's say that this is exactly where he chooses to here with us.

And if you just look outside for a wouldn't be too hard to convince you that birds kinda like human company. They're always just outside your window aren't they? And we love the company of birds. We like to hear them sing and see them flit about. They bring us closer to nature and further from our daily stresses. So we repay the favor in the simplest of's no different for birds than it is for man. The quickest way to their hearts in through their bellys. 

So it goes without saying that I'm a big fan of birdfeeders. Because they're more than the sum of their parts. If we simply want to feed birds we could just throw some stale bread on the lawn. Birdfeeders are much more meaningful. They're birds and us. Their designs are often either zen like in their simplicity or kitschy, campy and cute. We design them to be ornamental jewels in our little environment. 

They benefit us just as much as the birds. They keep the little guys fed (and safe from ground predators)...and they keep us in the company of birds. 

Some favorites:

 Thanks for visiting! :)
xo Jenny


  1. i love that vintage camper one. i want to buy one for when we take our scamp out.

  2. These are so cute! However, the birds where I live are SO loud and chatty, especially in the early evening, I think I would go nuts hearing that on my patio afterawhile. :)

  3. Very lovely, specialy the two campers. I did have a parakeet when i was a kid, he was allowed to fly in the house and loved to be in my barbiebed.Now i feed the birds in wintertime on my balcony.

  4. Although I wouldnt encourage birds to come near my home..terrified of them since I was a child I adore all these feeders. Too cute:)
    sara xx

  5. These are super adorable! I want them all! And that hummingbird feeder made by that ceramics company!! Amazing!

  6. I'd LOVE to make a little "trailer park" for the birds! We will be working on our deck and yard very soon..cannot wait! :)

    Thanks for popping in friends!! xo

  7. @Maria....Ohhh that is so so fun!! :)

  8. I love the last one best! Luckily the birds have plenty of worms to eat in our yard. The darn squirrels eat all the bird seed in a few short hours!


Thanks so much for reading! We absolutely love to hear from you please leave a comment if the mood strikes you, or if you have any questions for us about a recipe, project, art supply , paint color, etc. Don't panic if your comment doesn't appear right away...we moderate all comments to avoid getting tons of spam. Thanks again!!
xo Jenny & Aaron