Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Odd & Abandoned



I've always been in love with strange roadside attractions, architectural oddities, old abandoned amusements...whether they're fairy tale-esque or spooky and possibly haunted. Maybe it's got a little to do with being from New Jersey...home of Weird New Jersey. I know the series of books have become a nationwide franchise but they were born here in the original Weird state. The places you see here aren't in Jersey but they are some of my faves. Click the source link under the above photo to read about this life size dollhouse!



I just wanna eat this place! Look at that cake out front. Did they construct this out of frosting and gumdrops? Seriously, if this was anywhere near my neck of the woods I would be slipping letters in their mailbox that read: "Name your price!" "Can we pleeeease work out some sort of payment plan?!" "Can you at least rent me a room?!" "Or at the very least...a sleepover party?!"



When me and Aaron drove all the way out to Minnesota we saw more than a few places like this. Well actually we saw nothing on the drive there. We were in way too much of a hurry. It was on the way back home, when we were able to slow down and get off the interstate, we'd see some stuff that made us go "what the? why the? when the?..."



What could be the story behind this? Was it part of a traveling carnival and it broke down so they decided to leave it behind forever? You can look at it with your glass half empty eyes ( a post apocalypse ferris wheel ) ... or just marvel at the resiliency, adaptability, and strength of nature.


This completely redefines Treehouse! I love that somebody who possessed a brain so full of whimsy also had the ability to weild a hammer & nails and actually bulid this place!

Speaking of abandoned amusement parks...in the movie Hanna ( I love that movie. Oh sure, there's enough violence for ten or twenty movies...but man, I just love it.) anyway, there's a scene where she's hiding out in a magical fairy tale theme park in the woods. The crazy fighting juxtaposed with the Alice in Wonderland / dinosaurland setting is just so cool. I looked the place up...it's in East Berlin and it's known as Spree Park . There's a bit of a crazy story behind it.

I never get bored of this stuff. I have a bunch more favorites that I'll be sharing in the future. Definitely show & tell me about some of your weird finds.
xo Jenny

22 comments:

  1. Some truly amazing photos. I've never been lucky enough to come across cool buildings or sights like that...gonna keep my eyes peeled from now on! Great post.. love it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my god I would love to live in that second house so pretty and the tree house is pretty awesome too.
    The life size dolls house looks so cool,wow just speechless x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm from MN and when I was younger (many decades ago) there was a little cottage in the woods near my grandmother's that was called Fairyland. You would walk along a path where there were all sorts of gnomes and woodland creatures. At the end there was a coin operated witch that would tell your fortune for a nickel. It was one of those places that was both magical and terrifying to a child. The cottage still stands, but Faairyland is gone.

    I enjoyed your post with my morning coffee. :@

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I could not possibly be more in love with that ferris wheel and lifesize dollhouse….I want to visit these places now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such awesome, playful and fun houses you got to see! Love it! And thank you for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should look at Detroit, sadly so many abandoned buildings which always makes me sad when we're driving past them. I just want to do them all up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so cool......love the house!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really love abandoned places, particularly theme parks. There's something so eerie and sinister about them that I just love!

    Becky
    xx

    http://www.beckybedbug.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, this is something I am super into! One of my favorite sites is Roadside America because they list all the weirdest roadside attractions throughout the United States. I've visited a few things on the list like The Thing!! in the Arizona desert.

    My dissertation is focused on vaudeville, burlesque, and circus and I think a lot of my fascination comes from that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Jenny! What a FUN new blog post!! I am tickled pink with the candy house and life size dollhouse! You are so witty with how you write it all up too! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. the candy house with the cake in front is from a fairytale parc in the Netherlands, "de Efteling"....
    The kids love to go there, and we too ;P, Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love these whimsical buildings. The rusting wheel reminds me of something out of Twin Peaks! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  13. How wonderful what a magical collection:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ Vicki Ranger 911....ohhh that sounds fantastic! Do you have any photos? So so creepy/cool! Thanks for visiting and sharing! :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Rachael.... Yes yes....Aaron and I were just talking about abandoned Detroit. So sad!
    Did you know about the Juxtapoz magazine Detroit experiment? Here is a link...

    http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=C4&Dato=20101226&Kategori=NEWS&Lopenr=12260802&Ref=PH

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ Elizabeth & Kyle...yes yes!! We LOVE Roadside America!! :) So much fun!! We would LOVE to drive cross country searching out the odd and abandoned! :)


    Fabbb dissertation!!!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. @dreamkeeperfae...that is sooooo COOOOOL that you know of this house!! I was so excited to read your comment!! What a small world we live in!! Hooray for blogs!!! :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks so much for all of your lovely comments!! So happy you guys liked this post! :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. What wonderful photos. I really like the ferris wheel. I see history in that one. I imagine all the people that once rode on that, having so much fun, romance....The gingerbread house I would totally live in that. And the giant lady house is just...I would love to know the inspiration behind it. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i love all the weird nj stuff the creepy haunted and abandoned i have the nj ones, the michigan one since my boyfriends from there and the england one lol

    ReplyDelete
  21. Now those are my kind of places!! I especially LOVE the ferris wheel!!
    If only each seat had a skellie in them with Top Hats on and carnival attire! Eeeeeeeeeek!

    LuLu~*xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. I agree completely with you!! I am fascinated by the little Storybook Lands and family amusement parks! I wish there were more of those simple parks around today! A few years ago, we did a bit of trespassing and explored the abandoned Enchanted Forest! http://theenchantedforest.ellicottcity.net/gallery/

    We live just a bit away from the Haines Shoe House and am always so intrigued, thinking the people who build these things must have been awesome!

    Also, not to far from us is another abandoned amusement park which is now the grounds for a weekend flea market in the summer! Abandoned amusement + flea market= amazing!

    fun post!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading! We absolutely love to hear from you guys...so please leave a comment if the mood strikes you, or if you have any questions for us about a recipe, project, art supply , paint color, etc. Don't panic if your comment doesn't appear right away...we moderate all comments to avoid getting tons of spam. Thanks again!!
xo Jenny & Aaron