Sunday, May 13, 2012

Night Lights


There's something so enchanting about twinkling lights. I've always loved lanterns at night, the way their glow invites you near. When we had a store we had Japanese lanters just like these hanging from our antique tin ceiling. Whether it's one lantern or 20...their light is festive...celebratory. I always say 'celebrate every day'. Lanterns celebrate every night.



(source)


I've never been to Martha's Vineyard and it had never been high on my list of places to go...that is until I came across photos of "Illumination Night" or "The Grand Illumination" in the town of Oak Bluffs.  
I had clipped a little article about it years ago...and the other day I started pinning a bunch of pics of it from around the web. Can you even handle these photos? Victorian gingerbread cottages, candy colors glowing in the night.

Lights at night...nights lights...whatever you want to call them...are certainly a fave thing of mine. 

(source)


The same part of my heart, mind and soul also loves the Mad Hatter's Tea party...aka The Teacups at Disney! Another place I have yet to visit. I know that it will be my happy place. ( yes, I think I might have a few happy places ) I can close my eyes and imagine being there in one of those teacups. I've collected daytime photos...which is also just the prettiest happiest place. But it's nothing like night time...underneath those  magical lanterns. I must must must get to Disney! :)





This is the first in a little series I'd like to share. I have some other enchanting "night light's" coming very soon. 
xo, Jenny

16 comments:

  1. loooove lanterns! I've been to Oak Bluffs but not at night with these lanterns! wonderful! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these lantern pictures!

    I have added you to my blogroll on
    http://vintagevics.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, gorgeous pictures! I've always loved lanterns - they're so ethereal and whimsical - light as air!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely love the lanterns!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Waaaait a second... never? As in, never never? Oh my goodness, Jenny, you've got to go! We're spoiled, we're only 3 hours from Disneyland and we feel deprived if we don't go at least once a year! Well there's another thing we have to do if you ever get to come out to California.

    Anyway, these photos are so pretty! The lights are so gorgeous. If we ever get to live someplace with a back yard, I would love to put up fairy lights and lanterns.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, this has nothing to do with this post, but I just have to say, I'll probably never get my own Pinterest but I've just been looking through yours and it's like... I want all of it! Haha, you have the best taste in everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh sweet sistah, you gotta' get yourself to DisneyLand. It is truly a magical place, should you be able to see it through your set of youthful eyes and heart. Everyone has a set of youthful eyes and heart, but sometimes fear looking through them and being made fun of. I know you do not fear looking through your set, as yours is especially young and vital. Let me know if you ever go, and I will let you in on some of the magical little nooks and crannies to stop and visit, especially at night, where all the magic is most visible.

    Stay forever young,
    Meri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoa! I had no idea about Diddneyland at night! My daugher's graduating class from high school all bundled up into a school bus at 9 pm and off they went and I passed on the chance to be a chaparone for free: a couple of hundred graduates, one of them my daughter? nah.... now, I"ll never know... but thanks for the wonderful pictures. My favorite, John Singer Sargent did a great painting of little girls and lanterns... magical...

    ReplyDelete
  9. @kandeland Ohhh can you imagine an art retreat during this festival? dreeeamy!!!

    @ Vintage Vic Thanks so very much for following my blog! :) xo

    @Mandy Happy to Share! :)


    Thanks so much for popping in dolls! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. @polkadotpeticoat I know I know! Just some of the prettiest things ever! :)

    @Bronwyn I wish I could host a big party and invite all of you gals! We'd have lanterns galore! :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Ms. Dee... haha....gosh..yes....so sad isn't it? I know. booo hoooo. Ok...dream day/night ...photo shoot and dinner at The Madonna (with you guys)...and then a night of spinning in teacups!! MUST MAKE IT HAPPEN!!

    (of course I have no idea how far these places are from one another....haha....)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Ms. Dee Geez ....pinterest is truly a megggga time suck...a very happy happy fun time suck! :) You are too sweet! Thanks for the kind words! :) I'm happy to share!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ImagiMeri Thank you so much for visiting and your sweet words. :) I vow to visit the teacups SOOON! And I promise to never grow up..all the way. ;)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Queen of flat rate ....Oh geez!!! Your daughter didn't come home with pics or tales? I cannnot wait to see them in person!!

    I'll have to google that John Singer Sargent painting!

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the lanterns!! The photo selection is perfect :D it's exactly how I imagine a perfect night surround by them!

    http://photodannyfoto.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading! We absolutely love to hear from you guys...so please leave a comment if the mood strikes you, or if you have any questions for us about a recipe, project, art supply , paint color, etc. Don't panic if your comment doesn't appear right away...we moderate all comments to avoid getting tons of spam. Thanks again!!
xo Jenny & Aaron