Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Summertime Traveling Art Kit (DIY)


The second we finished our Beach Bungalow paper packs we just had to get this project done. I've had it sorta planned for a while. We had this old metal suitcase which was just the perfect size and happened to have great compartments inside as well as a convenient elastic strap on the underside of the lid. We were thinking of changing up the picnic format a bit by replacing the food with art supplies and planning an artful day trip. Papers, trims, markers, decoupage medium, paint, clippings, photos, scissors, brushes, and plenty more. This old suitcase went from dingy to dazzling in just a few hours.



First we gave it a good cleaning with paper towels and soapy water. 




Then we borrowed some metal polish and a wire brush from my brother Walt...(I don't know if I ever mentioned that polishing is one of Walt's fave hobbies)...we did a bit of scrubbing and wiped off the excess mess with a rag. It feels like magic when you see the rust just vanish. 



We spray painted the inside with some aqua Rustoleum. 


Since we were going to be using lighter colored papers we figured we should prime the gray metal box white. Sometimes if you decoupage light paper onto darker colors the papers will be dulled by the dark surface showing through. We used some masking tape to cover the hardware before we painted it. (We scuffed up the surface with some sandpaper first)



After the paint dried we then cut our papers into squares and rectangles and decoupaged them to the box in a pieced together quilt-like pattern. Once the papers were all adhered and totally dry we then gave it a clear topcoat for protection. We love using Decoupage from DecoArt. But you could of course use Mod Podge.


We then did a hand painted aqua scallop rim and with some extra scraps of our floral papers made a cute little paper bunting to dress up the interior.  It was so fun gathering up all of our essentials. The things we always grab when sitting down to art journal or paper craft. How fun is it, knowing how different all of our Traveling Art Kits would be? :)




Sometimes the supplies will dictate the project. In this case we're hoping the supply case will dictate some artful summertime day trips. 

If you create your own Traveling Art Kit I'd love to see it!! :)
xo, Jenny  


* The papers used in this project are from our Beach Bungalow Collection..get your own here! :)

44 comments:

  1. omg this is awesome and adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! How lovely! I positively want to try this now!

    Thanks for sharing such a creative and inspiring DIY.
    That is one of the things that I so enjoy about the blog-sphere, the creative environment and shared inspiration that can occur within it.

    Happy summer to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this Jenny..it is fabulous!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is soo lovely! i'm going to have to steal you idea for a storage box i think!xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW. Just like everything you make, this is just fabulous!! Probably the best DIY I've seen out in the Blogosphere. You continue to impress me. I will definitely be putting this on my to do list. You should have a before and after show for your projects! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in love with this!!! amazing!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! just love it.....I just painted some of my old suitcases and have one more to do....I know what I will be doing with it....thanks for the inspiration.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's super cute! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! A+++ for cuteness!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wowwwwwwwww! This is AMAZING!! I ABSOLUTELY loveeeeeee how it turned out!! So pinning this!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh! Thanks so so much guys!! So sweet of you! I really appreciate it!! Aaron and I had so much fun with this project! And we will totally be using it often!! :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. @irishrovr Thank you so much!! :)

    @Leah Thank you!! I really appreciate it! :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Sarah Dawnee Ohhh thank you so so much!! So kind of you!! :) So happy you liked it!!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. @pamelahuntigton

    Thanks SO uch Pam!! That means so much to us! :)

    xo


    @ Ashley Rose

    Thank you!! :) Ohhh if you make one of your own, I'd LOOOVE to see it!! :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Kelsea @Pink Wonderland

    Oh my gosh! Thank you so so much! That is just so so sweet of you! :) You totally made me smile really big!! We have a bunch of FUN DIYS coming up! :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Laura McHugh Thanks so so much Laura!! :) So lovely of you! :) Oh my gosh , I'd LOOOVE to see yours!! ...filled with all sorts of beautiful baubles and bits! :) If you create one...leave me a link to see it!! :)


    xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. @lizzie Thank you so much!! :)

    @Nikkiana Thanks bunches!! :)

    Thank you both for popping in!!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Julie Tucker-Wolek

    Thank you so so much!! :) It was so much fun to make! :) Can't wait to take it with us on a fun day trip! :)

    So happy you liked it!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is just darling, Jenny! Love it.
    Your new papers are so great too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. that is too cool and too cute. Love the paper. Grace xoox

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just tweet your post to my followers @bigbabybakery.
    It's so lovely and easy to finish! Great sharing :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. really cute~love the little bunting inside :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is too cute. I need a craft-box makeover anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thats inspiration packed up with an adorable twist....love it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is so pretty! Perfect for summer days.

    Becky
    xx

    http://www.beckybedbug.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. this is such a cute idea! do you think i could do this to a regular sized suitcase and use it to actually travel with it or would it not hold up?

    ReplyDelete
  27. PS - I featured this post today in my Leah's Friday Fav's http://www.lovelylifeofleah.com/2012/06/leahs-five-friday-favs.html
    Thanks for being so awesome <3

    ReplyDelete
  28. ahhhh! i just died! you need to sell this - so perfectly handy and lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love this. What exactly do you have in it?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh I love this! What a great idea. Have you heard about our Craftastic Competition? I'd love for you to enter in it! Lots of prizes to be won too!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Splendide!!! Excellent idea & very good work on your suitcase! Bravo

    ReplyDelete
  32. If I run away from home, that's the suitcase I would take!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. wow! i adoreeeee it! so cute! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great idea! I have a couple of old wooden cases in the basement, you know the type that bottles of wine come in sometimes? Don't know where they came from, but have a good idea what they might become..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love this project! What a change! And those papers are just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  36. omg this is amazingly beautiful!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Brenda @transferessenceAugust 28, 2012 at 10:05 AM

    Adorable! Inspiring :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I love this! So happy I've discovered your blog x

    http://www.lovelybettycornwall.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  39. OK think this is absolutely stunning! I have an old vintage suitcase that I was thinking of covering with photos, but now maybe I will make this! It's soooooo cool!

    ReplyDelete
  40. OMG love this idea i could totally use this as a makeup kit too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading! We absolutely love to hear from you guys...so please leave a comment if the mood strikes you, or if you have any questions for us about a recipe, project, art supply , paint color, etc. Don't panic if your comment doesn't appear right away...we moderate all comments to avoid getting tons of spam. Thanks again!!
xo Jenny & Aaron

nRelate - Posts and Homepage