Saturday, September 15, 2012

let's make an itsy bitsy confetti garland



To say that I am a big fan of confetti is an understatement. Seriously, I love everything about it. Even the word itself...Confetti...isn't it such a fun word? For years we tossed handfuls of pink hearts and gold stars in our boxes when shipping out orders. We'd often get emails from customers letting us know that they cannot stop thinking about us...not just because they love staring at their sweet art hanging in their kitchen but because they and their family have been tracking sparkly hearts through their homes for days! One time when we had a store we sent out a little promotion via snail mail. Inside the envelope we included coupons and a newsletter, and for good measure we'd throw in our usual handful of confetti. Well, a little while after the mailers went out we received a phone call from a very nervous past customer of ours. It turns out that they got an envelope in the mail and the only thing inside the envelope was a handful of confetti. That's right...no coupon...no newsletter...just confetti. They knew the envelope was from us because it said so on the return address. Apparently we lost track of things while we were stuffing the hundreds of envelopes and forgot to include the most important contents. Anyway, this was right around the time of the Ricin and Anthrax scare...when the nation was feeling threatened by something as innocuous as a birthday card in the mail. When on the news they told us to be wary of any powdery substances in envelopes. So, when this customer of ours got an envelope sans everything but a tiny handful of confetti...I guess we could sorta sympathize with her nervousness. The emotional climate of the whole world was wacky at that time...it's gotta be the first and last time that someone feared for their life over some pink glitter and gold stars!

Anyways...confetti! I LOVE it! Don't be scurred! 
I love adding happy little extras to journal pages and thought that an itsy bitsy confetti garland could be an adorable little addition! and I think I was right. :) 

I make paper garlands all the time...to hang from my mantel, or shelves, or over windows. We have paper punches of all shapes and sizes here in the studio and use them often! But this isn't an ordinary paper garland. I like to imagine that the miniature little family of borrowers living in our walls has a crafty daughter who's latest project was influenced by my paper garlands. It really is a perfect scaled down replica of one of my garlands.
For these little paper punch outs I used a classic hole punch. My goal was to make a garland as tiny as possible but the same rules apply no matter what size your garland is.You can use just about any size or shape punch.

Here's what you need for this eeeeasy lil project:

thread or twine ( I used gold thread)
hole punch
assorted pretty papers
modpodge or glue
fine paintbrush or Qtip
 washi tape (to attach garland to journal pages)


Gather up some pretty papers. I used about 10 different colors/patterns. Punch away while watching tv or listening to some good music!


Using a fine tipped paint brush and mod podge, dot each little circle and sandwich a pair around the thread. Spacing evenly as you go...and go, and go, and go.


You could really go for an hour and have a bunch to use in future projects, or you could make just enough for today's journal page. I ended up making a bunch and wrapped my extra garland around a wooden spool for future use. I think I will make a bunch more in different color ways.


Washi tape and confetti are a very happy mix, am I right? Total eye candy!



I cut tiny little rectangles of washi tape to adhere my itsy bitsy garland to my journal pages. I love the FUN it brings to this page! And I love the whole concept of a confetti garland. It's like we tamed the confetti. Confetti is used to running free all over the place...making a pretty mess. But we put it on a tiny leash of gold thread...figuratively and literally keeping it in line!




This page really needed this little pop of FUN don't you think? Now it's ready for some journaling!


I'll be making more of these for sure. In all sorts of color combos...and sizes! I'm planning one with penny sized circles and I think I'll store it wrapped around a TP roll. I'm the kind of crafting weirdo that loves the idea of these sorts of things lined up on shelves. Yes I'm a cheap date. Doesn't take much! :)

I'm thinking of other fun ways to use these garlands. I think they'd be adorable used in gift wrapping.
If you make your own itsy bitsy confetti garland I'd love to see it.

Thanks for popping in! 
Enjoy your Day!
xo Jenny

25 comments:

  1. I love this Idea and can't wait to try it of on a journal page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I just love how you put together your art journals and crafting tutorials. Got to try this! When I find shiny coat thread. LOL! I have a question.. When you create your art journals are they photos from your family? Sorry for the silly question. I would like to create a journal and add some old pics but, I don't have any old photos of my family.
    Thanks, Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. @anonymous/Connie
    Thanks so much! To answer your question about the old photos...I do have many great old family photos but a majority that I use in projects are what I like to call "instant relatives".
    I get them at flea markets, yard sales, ebay, junkshops...
    If you look on ebay you can often find big "lots" of old photos. At flea markets it is wise to just try to buy the whole shoebox full or whatever they have, instead of buying them separately...you'll probably get a better deal. And here's one thing to remember...If you are using the old photos in an art project you should make a photocopy of the photo and use that instead of the original picture. The photocopy will be easier to work with and plus you'll get to hold onto the original. Happy Fall, and Happy Creating! xo, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhhhhhh I love love love that confetti!!!! Just looks AMAZING on your pages!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So adorable!
    You got me thinking...if I were a borrower I'm pretty sure I'd want to be living in your walls rather than anywhere else in the world, I can just imagine all the lovely things to find laying around!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is just the sweetest little garland. Paired with the washi tape makes it even cuter! ;) LOVE!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sweet!! Love the idea!
    Your crafting tutorials are amazing :)
    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh! easy and pretty.

    http://worldofweicrafts.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Louise.Amabilis Oh gosh..that is so sweet of you! :) haha! Well surely you'd have LOTS of glitter to borrow!! :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Jen @Sadie Inspired Thanks so much! It is the simplest little thing and it brings such FUN to the page! :) You can just zone out watching a movie and make so many color combos! I have old wooden spools to wrap them around. Love seeing them! :)

    Thanks for popping in! :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. @vera ferraz Thank you so so much for the super sweet words! :) I'm happy to share!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. @wEI Simple & Easy...and cute, are my fave things! :) Thanks bunches for visiting!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow--I see using this idea to make Christmas garlands to decorate my dollhouse. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cute blog! If you'd like to swap buttons, I'd love to. I don't swap anymore but we have similar stats and prices. Love to swap large ads? Email me if you are interested!

    Stopping by from Thee Networking Blog Hop! Love for you to stop by and return the follow when you can ;) Also hosting Mom's Monday Mingle later tonight. Love for you to link up.

    www.thenaptimereview.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is such a cute idea! I'm a new follower from Thee Networking Blog Hop, and I'd love a follow back at http://www.two-in-diapers.blogspot.com when you get the chance!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The really very good blogger i love joined you feed

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute Jenny!! I will have to give this a try!! Thanks for always sharing such creative and sweet ideas! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Rachel ohh yes!! I've made them for little bakery vignettes...so yes!! Christmas doll house decor...would be so sweet! If you do..pics please! :)

    Thanks for visiting!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ Naptime Review Thank you so much for the sweet words. So happy you found me. :) Blog hops can be so much fun! :)

    I'll be sure to pop over and visit you!! :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  20. @Casey Thank you! :) Glad you liked it! Simple but cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Cassie {two-in-diapers.blogspot.com} Thanks so much for popping in and for your sweet words. Happy to share! :)

    I'll be sure to visit you!
    Happy Fall!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. @vintage grey Happy to share!! :) Thank you so much for the kind words! I really appreciate it! It's always so nice to see you here!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh HOW CUTE!! I love this! Ack... I already miss art journaling! Gosh, I really need to set up my studio and find my art journal. I'd hate to miss this week too! Seriously, I'm probably driving Jacob mad because he wants to re-build our bed frame, clean the house, and put away everything in the kitchen. And I'm like what are you talking about? My priority is obviously my studio!! Heheh. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading! We absolutely love to hear from you guys...so please leave a comment if the mood strikes you, or if you have any questions for us about a recipe, project, art supply , paint color, etc. Don't panic if your comment doesn't appear right away...we moderate all comments to avoid getting tons of spam. Thanks again!!
xo Jenny & Aaron