Thursday, August 22, 2013

10 Things You Might Not Know About Aaron


Jenny tagged me...challenging me to do this post: 10 Things You Might Not Know About Me. Usually I'd ignore such a request because I believe that readers of Everyday is a Holiday have much better things to be concerned with. The title should read 10 Things You Might Not Know Nor Did You Really Care to Know About Me. But Jenny urged me to take the time to share a bit about myself...people might care...people might be entertained...enlightened...amused...bewildered. Ha! Anyway, here's the ten. Some things might be surprising...some are probably completely expected...some are mundane...some are 'so what?' I apologize for how lengthy this is but I feel like I'm not interesting enough to just list bare facts. My facts need to be bolstered by stories, explanations, excuses, apologies...
Enjoy.



1. Most people in my current life would have trouble believing that I was a jock in high school. And they'd be justified in their disbelief. By my looks, vocation, demeanor, and tastes, I'm a very unlikely jock. I was captain of the football team and wrestling team and was very much apt to bark and growl and spend 3 hours a day in the weight room. This was 18 something years ago at this point and while the weight room habit has been an off and on thing since then, I have never really looked back or revisited sports in any way. I can bet that in these 18 years I haven't watched more than a couple quarters of a football game per year...and this would be at a super bowl party, which I'm attending for the snacks and the friends. It's not that I DISlike sports now...it's just that I don't LIKE them. I don't seek them out ever. There are better things to think about or be entertained by I guess. I've got cupcakes to paint for pete's sake.



2. The only material things I desire are books. Maybe if there was more dough in the coffers I'd begin to like other things. But for now and for the past long while my only desire is books. Any time that we get a little extra cash I will ask Jenny if I can fill up an Amazon cart. The days leading up to delivery are happy and the following weeks spent with my new books are happy. It's simple.


 3. I currently live in the same 1 square mile town that I was born and raised in. Granted, I moved away from here for a great many years...but now I'm back. Does it feel weird? yes. Has it changed a lot? yes and no. Is this where I will stay for the long haul? no. Am I content with living here right now? yeah. It's great that my parent's house is within walking distance. And since I pretty much leave the house only once a week to get some groceries, it may as well be a lunar landscape outside my door.


4.  I do not know the words to my favorite songs. And I mean my All Time favorite songs...not like this week's favorites. No, the songs that I absolutely live for are peppered with phonetic utterances that just might be actual words...but I'd never know. For instance, in Sympathy for the Devil...there's a part that maybe goes something like: "I lay traps for troubadours who gaykeel beefo they each wahwey."  I don't know what it really is and I don't care. Don't get me wrong...I still live for that song and always have. And it's weird because I was the singer in a band for like a dozen years. I wrote lyrics...you'd think I'd care what they are. Also, I'm a big reader...big into words. But when it comes to rock I tend to selectively hear snippets of meaningful lyrics...and those snippets will mean the world to me. I'm just not a word-for-word guy...I'm a gimme the gist type o' listener. But I'm not a casual fan by any means...no, like I said, I LIVE for these songs...whatever it is they might be trying to say.


5. Here's the thing...I've seen buckets of art house cinema. I'm versed in Truffaut, Kurosawa, Kazan...all that. And I live for that stuff. But...I've got two movies that I can watch anytime, anywhere, anyhow, and I will be fully immersed, stimulated, entertained, inspired, artistically medicated, and whatever else. These two personal masterpieces are Lethal Weapon and Point Break. Sure, they are less than highbrow...but so am I. Wow...didn't really realize until just right now that the common denominator is Gary Busey. Seriously, I never added that part up. Bless me.


 6. I hate the cold. And it's sorta a new thing. Well, one of the factors is that after a very near fatal car crash a decade ago I now have pain in the cold months due to having a bunch of hardware in my leg. But overall, I probably never liked the cold. I will say that I've recently become much more self aware. I've taken some time to identify the things that make me sad or happy deep down. Cold and winter in general make me sad. And I always thought I'd live in New Jersey forever. But as of late I'm contemplating a future in San Diego. Seriously, it's commonplace for me to sit online and scroll through daily temps in San Diego spanning back a year or so. I read those wonderful digits that have a year round average of 70 degrees and just dream of a positive, bright smiling face in the morning mirror. That should be their city motto...but then again, people might think of Bob Filner's creepy smiling face. nix that.


7. I met the girl that I have now been with for twenty years because I liked the look of her neck one day. There I was in my small town high school...Junior year...two new girls move to town. By the locals they are soon dubbed "Hip Hop 1" and "Hip Hop 2"...Jenny and her sister respectively. They are in my school for six months and I never really lay eyes on them. Which is out of the ordinary because it's a tiny school and people are always all up in other people's business. But I was mostly aloof by choice. I slept in every single class, or would ask to go to the bathroom and then I'd sneak down to the weight room to do a few sets...or skip class entirely so that I could sleep on the partially rolled out wrestling mat behind the stage curtain. Yes, I liked to sleep and do jock things, nothing else really. Anyway, one day I'm late to class and I see Hip Hop 1 on the stairwell. She's late too, so we are the only ones there. Anyway, she keeps her eyes looking anywhere but in my direction...I later learn that this is because she hated me...though what she really hated was the town and believed that I was the walking embodiment of the town...makes sense I guess. Anyway, she's walking past, rolling hers eyes to the heavens to let me know that I'm the last thing on her radar, and she's got her hair pulled up, and she's craning her head and eyeballs so far away from my lowly self that I can unabashedly stare at her as she walks past...and for some reason my eyes just focus on this long lean white neck. A couple days later I ask her out and fast forward twenty years...now we are the proud parents of two very neurotic chihuahuas. FYI...I do not now nor have I ever had "a thing" for necks. The whole thing was just random.


8. Ok, for most of my adult life if someone were to ask me what my favorite food is, without a breath I would respond "spaghetti and meatballs". This of course has prompted many an eye roll from Jenny. First, because she doesn't really believe me when I say it...and second...c'mon Spaghetti and Meatballs?! are you 7 years old?? I'll admit here that in my heart of hearts that it's probably not my favorite dish. But it holds some importance in my gourmandizing life. I feel like spaghetti and meatballs have been the food version of my American Embassy...like wherever I go...when the blacked out sedans are at my heels and I've got the briefcase full of top secret state documents...I can slide into the rescuing hands of a familiar plate of spaghetti and meatballs. This of course has been disproved by many bad dishes of Spaghetti & Meatballs...but still. And yeah, we have been using Rao's famous meatball recipe at home for like a dozen years...and it's wonderful. But to prove Jenny's rolling eyeballs correct...it is not my #1 dish. We've been cooking so much over the past year, and all of it is so drop dead awesome that I really can't say what my favorite is. Though I do always always want to go out for Indian on my birthday.


 9. My all time favorite novel is Lolita. For the past dozen years I've probably cracked it back open at least once a month to read parts of it over and over again. 



10. I have three tattoos of Jenny. So that's three times that I have tested the ole' adage that assures - once you get a tattoo of your girl, the relationship is doomed to fail. And I will test it yet again...the next tattoo that I get will be another Jenny. I'm not drawing this one. It's a design by the amazing Angelique Houtkamp that I'm appropriating to contain "Jenny" and pink hair. I always enjoy Jenny's reaction to the Jenny tattoos. When I showed her the latest sketch of the forthcoming Jenny tattoo (see above) she rolled her eyes and said "You're crazy...another one?"

48 comments:

  1. You're too cute, Aaron!! You both are!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie! Only half as cute as the Jule-ster. ha! I bet no one calls you that!

      Delete
  2. Omg. Total crush on Aaron now. You two are the bees knees. Seriously wish we could hang out. You could have lost me around Point Break, but you charmed your way into my heart all the way home. Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! this is Aaron...too lazy to sign in as me. Thanks! Believe me, I can see what you see when I see Point Break...but I choose to ignore my better angels and let the cheesy part of me just fall for it hook, line, and sinker. You're the bees knees yo'self!

      Delete
  3. You guys rule :) its so heartwarming to see other people that have been lucky enough to find their soulmates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Brooke! You Rule...and you know it! :)
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. Oh darn Aaron, you had me when you said "People might be entertained... enlightened... amused.. bewildered.." you were all of these and more... you are one "Special Guy" and I am glad that Jenny & your paths have crossed mine... thank you for sharing a little of you to us out here... and thanks Jenny for giving Aaron that little push that he needed to share himself... toodles noodles ~ ;O) xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marlene! And Aar says Thanks, you're quite "special" too! Wow, when we got our life reigned in a bit we WILL make it a point to hang out. Maybe Point Pleasant, antiquing or something. Love ya Marlene! xo J & A

      Delete
    2. Ditto! We always have our Favorite Large Ice Tea at Ocean Grove Flea Market... Love Ya' Both too ;O) xox

      Delete
  5. you two are so adorable! love you both. please move to the west coast so i can hang out with you too! carlanda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carlanda! I seriously think Aaron plans on it! I don't know how he's figuring the logistics...or when he plans on us doing it...but he swears it'll happen. And when that time comes...we'll give a call! ;)

      Delete
  6. How sweet! I really enjoyed reading your lists Jenny and Aaron! You guys are so cute together! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny! We were happy to share...after doing so it's amazing and heartwarming to find out how similar we all are with our quirks etc. xoxo!

      Delete
  7. I got such a kick out of this..the part about not knowing the words to songs cracked me up because Im always singing the wrong words to everything.. I dont know what the heck they're saying so I make it up! lol!
    I have to admit, I loved point break.. but I love keanu reeves and patrick swayze. I love the end when keanu lets swayze walk out into the ocean. Anyways.. you and jenny are perfect together and I look forward to meeting you this fall when you come this way to see Jennys parents! now I have to go back and find what Jenny wrote for her top 10.
    happy weekend!
    xoxo
    vivian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Viv, this is Aaron but signed in as Jenny. Yes...the final scene is what it's all about! Keanu has searched the world over...visiting all the best surf spots...hunting down the Swayze. Keanu is now seasoned and tougher...he's a true soul surfer now...and he just had to prove to the Swayze that he could catch him...then he lets him go because he knows it's the right thing to do...let him die surfing. Awesome! Yes...can't wait to see you too!

      Delete
  8. I seem to recall a little boy who loved to test the limits in whatever was in his way. Not sure if it was adrenaline or pure sugar. A quirky smile and a demeanor unparalleled. To my surprise years later and a few chance meetings, I saw before me a great man with a true passion for his better half and his art. Proud of who and what you have become.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Aaron signed in as Jenny...Jeez bud, you are way too kind my friend. Totally flattered. So great to still be in touch after all these years. Unbelievable how old we are...and growing up over there together is so fresh in my memory. Can still hear your dad doing his super loud whistle out the front door to let you know it's curfew. Thanks again bud, you're the man.

      Delete
  9. So freakin cute! My bf also tells me that he liked my long neck too. He tells me I remind him of a giraffe. I think I'm supposed to take it as a compliment.

    Tabby
    www.glitterinthequarter.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks Tabby! Yeah...and here's the twist...I don't even have a long neck! And even Aaron will admit that. He says it just looked long that day, the way my hair was pulled up and that the collar of my shirt was low. Jeez...who knows. Dudes are weirdos! am I right?!
      xoxo J

      Delete
  10. This was such a great read! I'm with you on the books. Give me all the books. And art too. Actually, my boyfriend and I bought a tiny house last year and the room that was supposed to be our guest bedroom has become "the library" because we realized pretty quickly there wasn't room for a bed (or really anything else other than our books). I like that the books have their own room, and honestly I like my books better than anyone who'd be staying there. (Ha don't tell anyone I said that.)
    Also, I've seen Point Break so many times. It is terrible but it has so much going for it. Mostly Patrick Swayze, who I love. We all have those movies we watch even though they're terrible, like I've seen Dirty Dancing approx. 18,000 times since it came out, AND I saw it in the theater! And it's terrible. I know this. Also, Patrick Swayze.
    Random side note, my boyfriend was once on an elevator with Gary Busey and Peter said he was cracking jokes the whole way down and everyone was laughing...like he was really funny, and not crazy at all. That was several years ago.
    I have a secret habit of checking the weather in CA all the time! I'm not kidding. I check it like several times a week. Haha. I live just outside DC but I'm guessing we probably have pretty much the same weather as you guys and it sucks most of the time. I hate the cold too and it makes my old lady problems (like bad circulation) worse.
    Anyway, I loved reading how you two met! You guys are the cutest.
    Also, Lolita! I just emailed a passage from that book to my brother last week to illustrate something about good writing that I can't remember now but anyway, yes.
    This was the longest, most rambling comment ever and it's clearly time for me to say goodnight. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! This is Aaron...no, I want all the books! I have like 8 boxes full in the garage because we don't have a book room. I also lost like 15 boxes full in Hurricane Sandy...nearly a thousand books gone. Ah well. Seriously, it's the bad movies that get to us the most. I'm constantly saying the Anthony Kiedis line from Point Break-"that would be a waste of Time." delivered in his Academy award winning manner. Anyway, I don't read too many blogs...mostly because Jenny reads them for me and gives me the gist...but I do read yours. Good stuff. We're all gonna have to hang out sooner or later because there are way too many commonalities between us. Loved your rambling comment!

      Delete
  11. I have to admit I am kinda scared that your two fave movies both have Gary in them! LOL!!! Loved reading more about you and loving how you and Hip Hop 1 met! :) My daughter's fave meal is spaghetti and meatballs, and she turns 7 in October ... so Jenny might be right on that one! HA! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Julie! Aaron can order straight off the kids menu anywhere we go! ha!

      Delete
  12. I totally enjoyed learning about you Aaron. It made me see the total metamorphous that occurs when two people find their soul mates and we are the lucky recipients of the creativity which has emerged as a result of this fated collaboration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ms. Diva! You flatter us way too much. We're just two dysfunctional souls who happen to have figured out a way to get by! ha! xoxo

      Delete
  13. I'm in total agreement with Kate's comment way up at the top. I'm crushing on Aaron big time! Anyone who hates the cold, loves to read, and will eat spaghetti and meatballs is my go to guy!

    Seriously, you both are the best. Thanks for the fun post. Love you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Mary! Seriously...Aaron is one of those guys that probably gets more 'normal' looking the closer you look...but then again, you don't wanna look too close...because then the meter shoots way back to Crazy! ha! xoxo

      Delete
  14. Thank you for sharing a little bit about you. It’s nice to get to know the people behind the creativity.. It is hard to be vulnerable and just put it out there, but the support is amazing once you do it.I too can relate to wanting and dreaming to move away from the E.C. I am from NJ too and I absolutely hated the COLD, the snow and the grey skies of winter were horrible on me. Yes I did the “move” I moved from NJ to San Diego 16 years ago. And I never regretted it. But there are a couple of things I do miss and they are the fall, rain and the EC people/family/friends of childhood.. I had to count the cost and see if the people or my natural environment was going to make me happy. My environment won. As far as the missing people nothing that a phone call or plane ride couldn’t fix. I have traveled back to visit and I couldn't wait to come" home" home is where you thrive the most where you find your happy thoughts.And the warm, breezy, surrounding of nature,ocean, desert and mountains do it for me. NJ will always be where I grew up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! wow...Aaron envies your initiative...you did "the move"! He used to just joke about it...but lately he's getting more serious about the idea. We of course have a bunch of family here that we wouldn't want to be far from at the moment. But who knows what the future will hold.

      Delete
  15. Aaron - Jenny is right! These are things we needed to know! It is so cool finding out things that we have in common. For example, I don't think anyone would guess that I was a huge jock in high school either...only in my case, they would be absolutely correct in their assumption. I do love a good neck. And as soon as you mentioned that you didn't like the cold, my first thought was, "They need to move to California!" I hardly ever eat spaghetti and meatballs but when I do, it is like coming home. I'll start sending you guys real estate listings; CA needs more literate, awesome, dessert-obsessed people!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Aaron, too lazy to sign out of Jenny's log in. Ha! I simply knew that I knew that you weren't a jock. I'm so perceptive. And seriously...me hating the cold isn't some phase. I know some people who will say "oh, but I love a good cold snap now and again." or "I couldn't move out to the desert...I need a big snowfall every once in a while." And I say "nuts"...I don't need any of that stuff. If every single day felt like a warm bathtub I'd be in heaven. In fact, I don't want my body to even register a temperature at all. I'd just as soon shut off that gauge.

      Delete
  16. Aaron
    Know what? I think you are a beautiful soul.
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Aaron but I'm signed in as Jenny. Ah jeez...Thanks so much Lori! Made my night! xo

      Delete
    2. No you made my day! Thought spirited, book reading and spaghetti eating men no longer existed in this universe! And Jenny, such a sweet soul and your tattoos of her, well gee, hope before I leave this earth a man finds me and loves me as you do Jenny! Love to you both, Lori P.S And I hope he makes me morning coffee!

      Delete
  17. Aaron, YOU ARE TOO FUNNY!! When I read about you meeting Hip Hop #1 and her long neck, I thought I would literally roll off my chair laughing! And that picture! Please draw me one! Yall are so cute and I hope like crazy to meet you one day!

    Love and Hugs to y'all from the South, Becky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is Aaron Becky. Thanks so much! We love you to bits and we definitely gotta meet up one day. It would be a blast. xoxo

      Delete
  18. I really enjoyed reading this. You're a good storyteller Aaron - definitely entertained. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn..oh yeah, this is Aaron, I'm just signed in as Jenny...I seriously appreciate it! Glad you liked it...happy to share! xoxo

      Delete
  19. That was such a wonderful, interesting read. You are truly "very interesting", and have a really neat outlook on everything. I can definitely see Jenny's attraction to you, you are pretty funny too. And, I liked your explanations, my kind of guy. I hate those people that have one-word answers for everything, like there is nothing better to do than "piss" me off. Thanks again, and oh yeah, LOVE the blog and all the work you guys do, and by the way, I'm probably just slightly younger than your parents, and no, I wasn't trying to pick you up, lol. Just felt that I had to give you compliments, much deserved!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kim, this is Aaron but I'm signed in as Jenny. Thanks so much! I truly appreciate your feedback on everything. Glad you liked my long answers...I wouldn't have any idea how to answer in any other way. :) Ha!...pick me up!!! lol. Anyway...Thanks again for reading! xo

      Delete
  20. Aaron,

    Nice to hear from you. You are the silent type behind the scenes. :-) I like visiting with you and Jenny. Love the blog. Love the girls you draw. Especially your girl. It was pretty interesting reading your top ten. Thanks for enlarging on them. Maybe this was good for you to do so you would know there is lots of love for you out here too. I worried about you guys during the hurricane and prayed for you lots of times. You made me laugh with your frank unapologetic explanations and just being you. I could just picture you and Jenny in the stairwell and her refusing to look at you, that alone was worth the price of admission. LOL! Take care and we hope to hear from you more. Maybe "Aaron's Corner" once a month or so? Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Loretta, this is Aaron signed in as Jenny. Haha! "Aaron's Corner"...I actual will consider something like that...but since Jenny is so much more an interesting subject I feel like if I shared something on the blog it should be my observations of Jenny...like my little behind the scenes glimpses. Not really secrets...of course I'd have to run them past her (since she's the one who posts the blog anyway!) ...but maybe I can tell everyone about things that maybe she doesn't even notice in herself. For instance...she will be so immersed in a conversation that she'll quickly say "drink" to me...and I'm supposed to quickly fill up a glass for her while she continues to talk a million words a minute. Well tonight she was so busy talking, and talking super fast, that she picked up the empty glass before I had a chance to fill it and went through the motions of drinking it...and then continued to talk super fast, not even breaking stride, or realizing that she just drank nothing more than air. lol! She's like that...so intent on finishing a thought that she has no idea that she just sipped imaginary water! She seriously did that like ten minutes ago...and does stuff like that all the time. Anyway, maybe I can share that stuff...I can be Jenny's personal TMZ! ha! anyway...seriously...thanks for the kind words and the prayers in the past. I'm truly thankful to have you!

      Delete
  21. OK I am seriously intrigued by jock Aaron and the nicknames Hip Hop 1 and Hip Hop 2!! I would looove to see pics of you two from Highschool! This was such a good read!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica! Yeah...we would like to hunt down some pics...but they have to be pics that we don't absolutely want to burn, if you know what I mean. :) Luckily they weren't digital in those days...so very few exist...and we didn't have to worry about being 'tagged' or anything like that. ha!

      Delete
  22. This is such a sweet and fun post, Aaron. You had me at "...which I'm attending for the snacks and the friends" and then the amazon order bit. :) It's all great. Your comment about Jenny's saying "Drink" and then not noticing she's swallowed only air is so great too. Thank you for the laughs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awwww!! Me and Pammy love you guys!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading! We absolutely love to hear from you guys...so please leave a comment if the mood strikes you, or if you have any questions for us about a recipe, project, art supply , paint color, etc. Don't panic if your comment doesn't appear right away...we moderate all comments to avoid getting tons of spam. Thanks again!!
xo Jenny & Aaron